The Backpack Project provides a better start for children living in poverty through providing a backpack, supplies, and one week of scholastic reinforcement. Umbrella works with local churches and community organizations providing the materials and supplies in addition to a general plan of action for the groups to use. The community groups work with local schools in their area and sign agreements to use the school’s classrooms for the week of classes.
Through your support we have been able to expand the project from reaching 100 in 2010 to over 2,000 children per year now However, to continue reaching those in need your support is critical. Specifically through your support of $25.00 we can provide one backpack and supplies for one child and cover related cost such as programmatic work and refreshments during the week of class. Become a Sustaining Donor to support the Backpack Project and in both Peru and Bolivia.
- Provides a week-long creative and fun academic summer camp for children between the ages of 4-13 years old
- Provides all the materials necessary for the children to fully participate
- Healthy snacks are also provided
- Provides the basic tools to start the new school year: a quality backpack, box of colored pencils, pens, notebooks, and pencil holder
- Provides opportunities for young adults and university students to volunteer in their areas of expertise as teachers
- Allows those volunteers to gain first-hand experience in logistics